Sunday, August 9, 2009

Vacation Dave

Dave took an entire, yes, ENTIRE week off work to spend with us. Of course, our vacations are mostly the lake house, so off to Lake Martin we headed. I love seeing Dave's eyes light up when he has the entire lake to himself (with no boat waves to contend with).
Oh, the fun times we created this past week. Zach decided the first day that he wanted to jump off "The Rock". That is Chimney Rock to the locals and it's high! After he and Dave swam over to the rock, Zach changed his mind and would only jump from a low rock. Who cares, he did it. Olivia decided to as well and within a minute, she jumped off our boat, swam over, climbed up and jumped! Ah, I love this 5 year old thing. I have never attempted the jump either, so this was the week. 22' drop and I did it. I'm not sure what was harder, the rock climb up in a bathing suit or actually free falling. I like both, so it was all fun.

We found a great tree swing near the Martin Dam. It's a rather high jump/fall (no photos), so this one was for adults only. Dave and I did it! Pretty exhilirating....
We boated, we worked around the house (mainly Dave this time around), spent time exploring the old gold mine at the lake and beached ourselves.
After a few hot days, I scheduled a tour for the Lake Martin Dam. I thought the kids would love this, but it turns out, Dave and I loved it. That dam is awesome! A bit of architecture, lots of history (1926 timeframe) and tons of engineering went into this dam. It produces electricty for 6 substations throughout the area (including Bremen, GA). Hmm, interesting.
The kids have become expert swimmers, divers, jumpers, you name it. They love the water this year. Olivia has also turned into a great fisherwoman. She caught several fish and the last one was a big mouth bass. She baits her own hook and takes the fish off. That a girl!
I think the evening cruises are my favorite. The pictures speak for themselves.
We topped the lake trip off with a visit to our favorite eating spot, Oskar's. One day back in Smyrna to bring Dave back into the real world (two straight weeks of travel) and the kids are I are back off again tonight. We'll miss vacation Dave/daddy :-)

1 comment:

Lake Martin Voice said...

Great post! My 6 year old, Jack, jumped off of the rock for the first time a couple of weeks ago. Fun!