Saturday, December 17, 2011

December Birthdays galore

Birthdays, no matter what year, are meant to be celebrated and/or spent with friends far and wide.  I feel very fortunate to have friends all over.  I love my wine glass Kaci sent me from Alabama, my chocolates and fancy tea Jill mailed, flowers from a new friend, all the great clothes from my sisters and my introduction to London finery from Barbara:-)
As we know, it's not about the gifts, it's also about time spent with friends.  Michelle was fortunate enough to hop a flight with her husband (via the company private jet) and surprise me.  We spent a day in NYC skating at Rockefeller Center, shopping, avoiding puddles (it rained all day) and eating our way through the city.  Oh, the Indian food was delicious!  She even ventured back out to NJ to see our new digs, spend the night and see Wyckoff first hand.
A day later, Amy and Liz arrived from Atlanta.  Watch out Wyckoff, they are invading!  This WAS a planned trip, so we had lots and lots and lots to do.  Friends new and old (who are you calling old, ya say?!) met and we all toasted Dave on his birthday and for being so nice not complain as we ran off to NYC for the weekend.  Amy, Liz, the kids and I took him to our favorite Italian/pizza restuarant for his birthday dinner. 
Cheers to Jen and Dave on their early December birthdays!  Celebrating at Amano...with a cannoli to top it off.

Top of the Rock
Highly recommended if you are visiting the city.
Jen and Amy - silly girls with the toy soldier at FAO Schwartz
Pleasantly surprised with our upgraded 'suite' at The Eventi hotel.  Artwork, library, bar, dining room, two bathrooms, and huge corner (entertaining) patios.  This room, er suite, rocked!  We didn't want to leave, but Harry Connick Jr. was waiting....On a  Clear Day, You Can See Forever.  The play was....interesting, but dinner, wine, the room and our rickshaw ride was much more memorable:-)
Jen sitting on a pig waiting for the elevator...silly
Our view as I woke Sunday morning....The Empire State Building.  
The girls' visits gave me something to look forward to, helped celebrate birthdays as well as usher in the holidays in one of the greatest places ever...NYC.  Our next trip will be to a 'warm location'.  Let's start planning!
The following Thursday.....Barbara invites me to NYC to the season premier to meet actors of Downton Abby, a highly anticipated British show that has made it across the pond.  One show and I was hooked.  My plans for New Year's Day....a marathon to catch up on Season 1.  PBS is the station to watch here in the U.S. and I'm on that train:-)  
Another credit goes to Barbara for helping me realize I need a fire to get through these incredibly dark days in the Northeast.  She, being British, knows that a fire helps you settle in for the evening.  I've taken her advice and have a fire in one of the fireplaces nightly.  I say 'nightly', but that means I start it at dark, i.e. 4:30 pm....why does it have to get dark so early??  Oh well, we are embracing it.

No comments: