Tuesday, January 20, 2009

Digging in the Dirt


As I spent part of the MLK holiday weekend working at the lake, I realized how much I feel at home there. Dave and I are still working on a pathway, patio and retaining wall. It is very, very hard work, as the blister on our hands, sore backs and weak arms can attest. It is, however, completely satisfying to work in the red Alabama clay (not only Georgia has the red clay). The lake and it's surroundings this time of year is a nurturing quiet. Olivia and Zach were at my parent's house, exactly where they wanted to be (well, there and Wal-Marts). Yes, Wal-Mart has an added "s" with my children. They missed the bonfire this time. Dave always builds a fire at the lake when he's there and spends hours upon hours standing over it. I spent 1 1/2 hours there and retreated to a hot bath and Sudoku (nerd!) The rain on the metal roof, the sound of deer walking in the woods, the quiet trickle of the creek nearby all add to the nurturing component of this place and that is exactly why I love it.....


It doesn't look like much, but this little project is taking some time.... oh, and we also (mostly Dave) cut a few dead trees down and we loaded wood to take back to my dad. Now that, is something I do not want to participate in again :-) I'll take digging in the dirt anyday.

No comments: