Friday, June 12, 2009

Racing, Horses and Camps



I do not have easy access to the internet/blog capabilities while we are at the lake, so I have to play catch up when I return home. We spent the first full week in June at the lake with Amy, Liz and the kids (previous blog). Returning back to Atlanta is a huge adjustment to the traffic, amount of retail choices, television and noise and the like. I believe racing is the one thing Zach misses most. He and Dave settle in together to watch a recorded version of Formula One or some other type of racing on the weekends we are home in Atlanta. This first weekend was no different. Zach saw Jensen Button win the Formula One race and I am conscience of at least 45 times I heard this racer's name over the following week. That means I finally went brain dead on the other numerous times Jensen Button came out of Zach's mouth. WOW, this kid loves racing! So, yay for Jensen Button - you made it to the big league where little 4 year olds idolize you (and other non-named 35 year olds). Olivia, Zach and I are lucky enough to be friends with Nichole, who is an avid horseman/woman :-) She owns a horse, Kodah, which she keeps at a barn in north Georgia. We trekked up one afternoon to meet Kodah for the first time. Kodah is young and Nichole is still training her a few times a week. Full time wife, full time job and almost full time trainer, Nichole fills those boots she wears. Olivia and Zach got a huge boost in self esteem by riding Kodah. Although, they said many times over, they miss Bossy (Nichole's previous horse who passed away unexpectantly). Nichole had the kids trotting on Kodah and there were contagious smiles on both kids faces. Nichole eventually got on with Olivia and cantered Kodah. Up and down they went and Olivia enjoyed every minute of it. Giddy up!

We were home the second week in June for Olivia to attend the Teasley Kindergarten camp. Yes, my oldest is soon to be a Kindergartener and I'll have to face facts once August/September rolls around. Until then, I'll keep my blinders on and my iPod humming along to songs designed to distract me. Olivia ended up loving this camp, which basically introduced the kids to the school, lunchroom, hallways, a few teachers and the like. My young lady has grown up quite a bit in the last two weeks. I am truly enjoying this age.

Zach attended an art camp at the Mable House on Ancient Civilizations. What a surprise this cultural arts center has thrown my way! Zach had a brilliant time and we were quite impressed with his art show on Friday. He loves to show everyone how he wrote his name in hierogliphics, his pyramid, kimono and pagado using different type of art mediums. Visit his room sometime; it is all displayed there!


Camp week turned into one fun fest. Each day after camp, neighbors and friends came over to play. We pulled out the slip and slide, water sprinkler, visited the pool, dined with neighbors, you name it, we did it. We capped off the week with a visit to the Botanical Gardens compliments of Andrea U. It was a hot, sunny day and the water fountain was the ideal place to play. Afterward, we hit Georges in the Virginia Highlands to meet up with some old friends and yes, we did have "babies in the bar", but it was a great time and everyone acted exemplary. A perfect ending to a fabulous week.

No comments: