Wednesday, May 12, 2010

Mother's Day

A relaxing day and a half at the lake is good for the soul.  Especially, when the aforementioned weekend is spent with good friends.  Boating, eating, walking, relaxing and reading books made up our time at the lake and we were all very pleased.  Thanks Amy, Liz and Cat.
Zach's last soccer game finished up this past weekend as well.  I think he was more in it for the trophy, so whew!, he got one this season!  Here is a picture of Zach and Coach Donncha.  He played a tough game as goalie this year :-)  Now that soccer is over, we are on to swimming.  Rookie swim team started Tuesday in Smyrna.  Much to my surprise, Olivia LOVED swim team.  It could be due to the fact that Ava and Gage accompanied us to practice, so Olivia had to show the "younger kids" how swim team works.  It could have been ugly, but turned out awesome!  On the flip side, my 'go get them' Zach ended up crying and said  "I never want to do swim team again"!  Oh no.  Where did this go wrong?  It turns out, he was cold, so I put a shirt on him (not advised for swim team, but hey, he's 5 and on the Rookie team, so it will fly).  He was happy today and the weather/water was warmer.  Both kids loved the fact that we had to write their name and age in Sharpie on their back shoulders.  They love drawing on themselves, so this made Swim Team even cooler!
Mother's Day itself, was a little quiet.  Dave was delayed on his flight from Germany due to the volcanic ash, so he missed taking me out to dinner for Mother's Day.  I went out with the kids, but it was chaos.  Oh well, I'll take a do-over any time!
Mother's Day was redeemed when I attended the Mother's Day Tea in Zach's class.  Thanks to Ms. Onsager and Mrs. Dominquez, the Tea had most mother's in tears.  The kids' behavior was perfect, they served us, gave us presents (artwork from the year), drew portraits of us and sang the sweetest song of all time!  That is what brought the tears on.  It also made us realize our Pre-K kids are going to be real Kindergarteners in a  few short months.    It all seems to run together with Olivia and Zach being one grade apart, but I had to take notice with this last gathering.  Over the course of last week, his teachers had been 'helping them' with their manners.  Zach would repeat things he discussed in school and it was all so very sweet.  Just to keep this one in my memory, I have to write it down.  One afternoon, he called from the bathroom "we are out of toilet paper".  I told him where we keep extra rolls and went to help.  He said 'oh, I can do it, it's Mother's Day'.  Umm, ok, this is nice.  He worked to put the new roll on with success.  Then comes, in the typical manner, "will you wipe me?  Oh wait, it's Mother's Day.  I'll wipe myself"!  I almost lost it, but hey, I took him up on his offer.  It was classic!

And that, my friends, is a Happy Mother's Day!

No comments: