Monday, December 24, 2012

Twins in NYC, Christmas parties, December fun, Xmas Eve


After hemming and hawing several months over how to celebrate my birthday, I finally, painstakingly figured out what I wanted to do.  Why the pressure over a 40th birthday?  I was happy to ring in the BIG 4-0, but I wasn't up for the "it has to be BIG, whatever you do".  I was torn because, lucky for me, I have friends in many locations.  It's sounds better as "I have friends in high places", but I digress.  I have friends all over the U.S. from East to West coast that I would love to celebrate with (and quite a few in other countries), but knowing I was supposed to do something BIG, well, it was daunting.  After a discussion over dinner and wine with Dave (miraculously, the kids were at friends) he helped me decide by having a smaller party here in New Jersey and taking a boat trip (as in just 4-6 people) somewhere in the Caribbean sometime later to celebrate.  The trip Dave and I took for our 5-year anniversary to BVIs was one of my favorites, so that sounded perfect to me!  But...I still wanted to have my family around.  I called my sis, Karen, and she said, "I'm on it"!  The next day, their flights were booked and we had a party to plan.  Well, Dave had a party to plan.   

After said party, which was posted earlier, we rested the next day and finally pulled Kim, Karen and Mike to NYC for an evening in SOHO and Greenwich Village.  We walked around, felt the 'electricity' of a Saturday night in NYC, found a great bar, proceeded to get a pint and so our evening was off to a great start.  We found this great, little Italian restaurant in Greenwich.  It was crowded, smelled wonderful and only took cash.  It did not disappoint.  We walked our full bellies off to see the lights of Greenwich Village.  It was a magically night!



Another item on our 'to-do' list with the girls and Mike in town, was to take them to enjoy the full Diner experience.  Oakland Diner is a favorite.  It was also Dave's birthday, and he was happy with his choice.  We all look a little weary, but the food perked us up...and a little nap. 
Happy 39th Birthday, Dave!
The Atlanta Falcons were playing that Sunday, so we proceeded to The Shannon Rose, a local Irish pub, for some grub, beers and football.  The sisters' loved it!  Zach tagged along with us, as Olivia was playing with Jordan.  He had a great time....on the iPad:-)
I had quite a lot of nice presents roll in as well.  When 40 rolls around, you don't really expect presents. All I wanted was time with my friends, but with some of them being far away, I got gifts.  Liz knows all too well how I love my wine.  Thank you, Lizard.  Amy gave me a beautiful monogrammed scarf.  I also received aged basalmic vinegar, scarves, monogramed necklaces, clothes, a new iPhone, money and the list goes on.  I am very, very grateful to all of my friends and family.
Helping Olivia with her Gingerbread house during the annual 3rd grade Gingerbread Day at Washington Elementary
The only photo we have of Dave's Jaguar Land Rover Christmas Party.  It was at the beautiful waterfront restaurant in Edgewater, NJ. 
December beckons so many get togethers with friends and we had an evening planned with the 'English Girls..plus Jen, The American" for many months now.  We hired a car service to take us to the Meat Packing District and had a fabulous dinner....with lots of wine:-)  Natalie, Fran, Barbara and I  wined, dined, chatted, danced the night away....and then it was 4 in the morning.  I'm not sure how that happened, but oh, what a night in the city.  
Jen and Natalie Murray
Jen and Barbara
Olivia sneaking a look at Nonnie's Christmas presents that were sent in the mail.  She told me, "one has a tiny tear and I think it's a Breyer horse".  Really, that's all you asked for, so it's a good probability it IS a Breyer Horse.  Silly girl.  Christmas excitement is all around.
Fran's youngest, Chloe, turned 8 and had what seemed to be a 'eat as much sugar as you can' party.  The game above involved eating Hershey bars with gloves, hats, a scarf and a knife and fork.  It was very difficult...and gross:-)
Donut eating contest....from a string!  They proceeded to make ice cream sundaes, eat pizza, and dance, oh and don't forget the birthday cake!  Sugar rush, anyone?!
Olivia riding Leo during one of her lessons with Jennifer.
Cookie making session during arts and crafts afternoon for 3rd graders.  Olivia with Sofia Francin.
Olivia loves her 3rd Grade teacher, Mrs. DePersis.
Sugarflake Bakery and all of their sugary goodness.  The kids, mainly Olivia, begs to go here everyday after school. With the cookies selling for a low, low price of $3.50, why not?!  That's kind of ridiculous, but somehow we silly parents pay the price.
With the Goss' going back to England for a 2-week Christmas break, we took care of Sparky, the Leopard Gecko and the dwarf frogs.  Sparky was a character, and had to be fed live crickets each week.  We were able to hand feed him (tweezers) and that was a sight!  He was a cute, little lizard, but I'm still under the impression that lizards are useless, so I think Olivia's request for a Blue Tongued Skink is still not going to happen:-)
Dave and Amy Orrico invited us to Dave's family Christmas gathering the weekend before Christmas.  As Olivia would have Avery to play with, we invited Ben to come along with Zach to keep him entertained.  I think they had a great time.  Sue and Tom Haneveld's new home was filled with cool kid toys.
Dave and the cook, Dave O.  I think we ate our weight in food and goodies.  It was a delicious night.  Avery spent the night with us in Wyckoff, along with Ben.  Of course, we couldn't fit everyone in seats, so a couple of them rode in the back (shhh!).  
Olivia and Avery
We made a stop at Dylan's Candy Store to drop Avery to Amy and Dave.  They were on their way back to Atlanta.  It goes without saying, we bought a LOT of candy.  Suckers!  Olivia got her favorite pair of pj bottoms....Dylan's Candy soft and fluffy.
One last goodbye with Amy before they head home.  We will see you in Atlanta soon!
Kinchley's Pizzeria...a New Jersey staple.
We decided to spend Christmas Eve in New York City this year to take in all the sights.  Our first stop was to Bryant Park for ice skating, but unfortunately, it was too busy and we didn't want to wait.  Chocolate covered churros and a pretzel occupied our time instead, and we acquired a NYC ornament for our tree.
Churros!
We strolled around the city looking at all of the Christmas windows.  Macy's was a favorite, well, they were all beautiful.  I love Bergdorf Goodman's every year.  

Bergdorf
A stop by FAO Schwartz for some time on the BIG piano.  Who was having more fun, the kids or me?!
Rockefeller tree
Back home to make cookies for Santa and the all important taste test.
We had a busy night writing notes, leaving goodies for Santa.  Kobe was on the lookout for the big guy and his reindeer.  Of course, to make it a perfect Christmas Eve, it started snowing.  Little did the kids know, but this would be our last Christmas in New Jersey.
Zach's note to Santa
Olivia's note to Santa
The notes to Santa are precious!  He even wrote us back.
Snow on Christmas Eve, all is merry and bright.
We let the kids open one gift each before they went off to bed.  You would have thought it was the only gift they have ever received.  They were so excited to have presents.
Kobe is still on the lookout....maybe he's thinking about his presents?!
Santa came!  Santa came!  Look at all of those beautiful presents he left.
Merry Christmas 2012 to one and all!


No comments: