Sunday, February 15, 2009

Inheriting the love of travel


For some reason, this weekend reminded me of several trips Dave and I have been lucky enough to take over the years. We were hiking with the kids Saturday at the Chattahoochee Nature Center and my mind went back to a few years ago when Dave and I were hiking in Park City, Utah. It was summer, so we began hiking the ski slopes and enjoying a beautiful, sunny day. The air was amazingly clear, the temperature just right and we found ourselves 'exploring' the mountains, lakes and wildlife. Well, we actually got lost for several hours, but who cares, I had my built-in compass with me (aka Dave). At the end of the journey of many, many hours, we came upon three moose. A young woman hiking by herself had run into them as well and was waiting patiently until someone came along. That's where we come in. We were as scared as she was, but it was still a beautiful site. The moose examined us just as much as we respectfully admired them. I was awestruck. Eventually, I would say 15 minutes or more, all parties involved decided to move on. The Stein Erikson hotel was absolutely amazing (this is where Katherine Heigl married a year ago). I try to forget the race we attended in Salt Lake City later that weekend; it was 100+ degress in the desert, but it was also the reason we were able to hike in Park City in the first place. Sorry, I cannot locate pictures at this time, but they really are beautiful :-)

As I was reading the travel section of the Sunday paper, an article about Joseph Haydn, the classical composer, took me back to another trip that Dave and I were lucky enough to experience. We decided to travel Europe for a couple of weeks (well before kids) and were making our way from Belgium, Germany, Austria and Switzerland. We found small hotels or bed and breakfast to stay in along the way, with no real plans. One afternoon we found a quaint town along a river in Austria. As we checked in, the hotel said we had gotten the last room for the night and also asked if we would be attending the Haydn symphony. We also were able to get the last two tickets to the concert, but it was absolutely amazing. The river meandering along the town, the sunset before we went into the symphony hall, the symphony itself was magical. I love Europe and long to go back. I know I inherit the love of travel from my parents (my dad in particular). I have traveled with them a few times cross country to Oregon and each trip was amazing. There is so much to see in this country, but I cannot get enough. If a trip is involved, I'm usually the one to say Yes!

We are lucky enough to tavel with Dave's work, so here's to the next trip.... Amelia Island in March!

No comments: