Monday, January 18, 2010

MLK Holiday at Callaway





We spent the day at Callaway Gardens since the entire family was out of school and work.  What a glorious day it was with the sun shining bright.  We soaked in the sun knowing that more rain is coming.  From the Butterfly House to the bike trails, we enjoyed every bit of it.  I actually caught a big, blue butterfly in action (thanks to my handy dandy DSLR camera).  An insect show was being held during our visit, so we learned quite a few interesting facts about tree frogs, hissing cock roaches (yes, we heard them hiss) and walking sticks.  The female walking sticks, which originate in Australia, smell like butter scotch.  Pull that one out of your hat at your next dinner party!  I will....but you may ask me to leave - ha!  We toured the horticulture center and the kids explored the outdoor children's maze while Dave and I relaxed on a sunny swing.  Olivia was in her own little world exploring the outdoors while Zach was collecting rocks for his collection.  He turns up, hands me several really cool rocks and says "I love you, mommy".  He's been my very affectionate boy this past week and I'm soaking it all up.  Olivia is picking up on the vibe and she's right there with the snuggles and "I love you, mommy" too. 
I was a bit bummed that I couldn't fit my new bike that I recieved for Christmas in the SUV.  A bike rack is on order.... I think.  Zach's bike made it into the car along with the scooter, so we toured the gardens via jogging, walking, and running after the kids.  Over bridges, crossing rocks and waterfalls, you name it, we did it today.  The Callaway trip was ended on the beach with the sun setting low over the water.  Ahh, it never gets old. 
Dave and I were amazed that the kids dinner plates were entirely cleaned off in such a quick manner.  These kids worked up an appetite!  As we were putting our very tired, but excited children to bed tonight, Olivia shows us her loose tooth.  Well, both top teeth are very loose, but they are still holding on.  We attempted to pull it, but she said, with a grin on her face, "I'm just too nervous and excited"!  Until tomorrow, little tooth.  We can wait.....

No comments: