Saturday, December 6, 2008

Olivia's First Nutcracker


I did it; I waited five years to do it and it was..... almost a success. I took my little princess to see The Nutcracker this holiday. Many people take their children when they are tiny, wee ones, but I thought it best to wait and let her really enjoy it. Being the "I don't ever want to take ballet, mommy"!! type, Olivia was game for this outing. Poor girl had to be dressed by Daddy since I had been rushing from birthday party to party with one kid here, one kid there (you know the Saturday birthday story). I have to admit, he did a decent job :-) Dress on, tights on, and her hair pulled back. As Zach would say, "dress - check, tights - check, bow - check, NOW can we go to Barnes and Noble?". He runs through the list like I do (yes, sometimes I may say these these out loud and he doesn't miss a beat)! Check! Back to The Nutcracker....Olivia and I were both engrossed in the ballet, but when the Russian man in white tights appeared, I have to say we were a bit 'grossed out'. Man, it was a bit much for me to handle and I love ballets. Olivia was great through the First Act seeing that the children were on stage. By the Second Act, she was asking to go, bouncing in her chair, in my lap, etc.. The Dance of the Sugar Plum Fairy and the sound of familar music (aka Publix holiday commercial music) made her take notice. She was a trooper for hanging in there and I'm so happy with my decision to go to the Georgia Ballet instead of the Fox this year. We have time to work our way up...

Meanwhile, as you can see, Zach enjoyed his pizza and cupcake at the Young Chef's Academy birthday party. Eat up, skinny boy :-)

No comments: