Sunday, February 6, 2011

Kobe's Surgery

So our newest family member headed to the vet Friday to establish his manhood....or the taking of his manhood (however you want to view it).  I have to admit that I was totally shocked by how sad it was when I picked him up Friday afternoon.  He was micro chipped, had a double incisor, baby tooth extracted and neutered. I know it is the best thing for him (recommended for health reasons, we aren't breeding him, etc.), but I wasn't prepared for Friday night with him.  He couldn't stand up because he still had his anesthesia legs and was desperately trying to get the cone off of his head.  'What is this plastic thing you have locked onto me?'!  He couldn't focus his eyes and could barely hold his head up.  Ahh, what had we done to him?  When it came time to feed Kobe and give him his pain medicine (I hope he doesn't become an addict...he he), Kobe and I both figured out soon enough, that the cone and food would not work that night.  I reluctantly took his cone off so he could eat, went to get him a drink of water and within 30 seconds, he was gnawing at his stitches!  Oh no, no, no.  I learned my lesson quickly on that one.  I ended up hand feeding him and helping him drink out of a cup.  He was in and out of it most of the evening.
But low and behold, the next morning, Kobe was like a raging bull ready to be let out of the gate.  I opened his crate and he bolted out (a little shaky on his legs), but happy none the less.  As of Sunday, either the pain meds are really good or he is ready to enjoy the sunshine that finally appeared.  I'm supposed to keep him limited on activity, but he's out chasing birds and enjoying himself.  I'll keep a check on his stitches and keep that cone on because I have a feeling that is the only thing keeping us safe for the next ten days.  He's relentless when it comes to his boy parts.
You are a man now, Kobe!

No comments: