Thursday, February 3, 2011

Orlando's Animal Kingdom and Rolex 24 Hours of Daytona

This is our 4th year attending the 24 Hours of Daytona with Dave.  It's always nice to throw a trip to Orlando in there before the race (work) activities begin.  This year we opted to try Disney's Wild Animal Kingdom.  We are pleased to confirm that it was a hit with both kids (and parents too).  Olivia and Zach actually spoke to Pocahontas, instead of shying away, so they really are growing up.  The Safari was our first stop and thanks to friends recommendations, we saw the animals in the morning while they were lively (except for this hippo).  It never really warmed up while we were in the park, and I think we should have all worn our fleeces.  
A surprising element of Rafiki's area/world was a view into the veterinarian's clinic and surgery rooms. We watched, up close and personal, the amputation of a black buck's (deer) hoof.  The hoof had gotten infected and antibiotics did not work, so they amputated.  It was amazing to watch and I have to say, something we probably would have never seen anywhere else.  
This is Zach waiting patiently while Dave and I ride Expedition Everest - the huge roller coaster. We took turns!  There is NO way I would have put my kids on that coaster after riding it.  Wow!  That's all I can say.....I finally caught my breath 10 minutes later.
Having fun in the Rainforest Cafe
Riding in Dino Land
Of course, they had to come home with SOMETHING!  Olivia got a new Webkinz, Katy, and Zach, a pocket lite saber.  It has provided hours and hours of entertainment.
The Lego store is being refurbished and moved the day we were there.  It's in a tent for now, but still had plenty to ooh and ahh over.  We spent the late afternoon/evening in Downtown Disney.
Counting on the foggy window in our hotel.
On to Daytona for the Pryor's.  It's a much different crowd there (mainly bikers and hard core beachcombers from the 70's, but who am I to judge?)  The beach is beautiful and we always have fun there.
We met up with our Ponte Vedra friends (the other two kids are twins and are 5!  Yes, they are tall)  See the slope of the Daytona track?  It's hard to stand on the banking.
We sat in the stands for the start of the race, then moved to the Porsche Hospitality tent and it was very nice to have a place to hang out. They had the XBOX with a driving game in the hospitality tent, so you know where Zach was most of the time!  We had to remind him that adults wanted to play too.  I brought iPhones and the DSiXL, so we were entertained as Dave moved from meeting to meeting.  We had gorgeous weather for Saturday and Sunday.  Yes, the race is actually 24 hours.  Patrick Dempsey raced again this year with his team (Mazda).
We couldn't forget the fun and games.  That's our annual tradition as well.  The Ferris Wheel at night is a must!  You can watch the cars from up high.
Olivia and I went on the Cliff Hanger.  She was very hesitant, but I coerced her to go.  Let's just say, I had a hard time keeping my stomach (this thing went really high in the air), but she was totally fine!  She said she was a bald eagle and she was flying all around.  She made me a hawk...
Zach was too short for the Cliff Hanger, so he grabbed a BB gun and had a little fun.

And this is how we ended the day as Daddy was pulled in to more meetings :-)
On our drive home, I realized this week would be our first full week back in school since Christmas Break.  With teacher workdays, snow days and this mini-vacation, it was February before we were in school for five days straight.  I can say, as of Thursday night, this has been the longest week EVER!  And guess what?  Dave is out of town....again.  I think he purposely planned this one (not really), as to miss Kobe's neutering Friday morning.  I will have one sore puppy on my hands this weekend.  Poor guy.  


No comments: