Sunday, October 4, 2009

Apples, Pumpkins and Autumn, oh my!


Thursday's school trip to Berry Patch Farms in Woodstock was my seventh trip to this specific pumpkin patch.  Previous years, I have attended two days in a row to take each kid on their specific class day.  This year, I lucked out and we all attended at the same time.  Hayrides, picking a small pumpkin or gourd and the delicious apple cider are a rite of passage for the VCLC group.  Zach was very careful in his selection of a gourd.  This thing looks like a swan and it is really cool.  I, unfortunately, missed Olivia's hayride since I was still on Zach's trip, so she went along with her classmates without me.  I guess that's what you do in Kindergarten.  It was an absolutely beautiful day outside and the pictures show it.  I came home with straw in my shoes, so I guess that means I had a good time!

Another rite of passage was Olivia's 6-year checkup.  She measured in at 41 lbs. and 45 inches tall.  She remains steady each year being in the 25% in weight and 50% in height. Flu mist was given to both Olivia and Zach, a finger prick to check glucose and cholestrol for Olivia and we were on our way.  Well, Olivia had a few words to say about the finger prick, but I had a few words to say about the bacon and cholestrol, so we are even....

On Saturday we headed up to Elijay to pick apples.  It was another glorious day for the weather and for picking apples.  Yum, yum, yum.  We barely hit the fields before every one of us had an apple in our mouths.  Of course, we needed the nourishment to pick a bag full of apples, watch the apple cannon shooting (fun stuff) and hang out for 45 minutes while our kids played with the farm animals.  I swear this little pig looked just like Wilbur!  The baby goats were nursing on their moms, the baby bunnies we so much fun to play with and the huge turkeys stayed far, far away from all the kids.  It was a delightful day and the local BBQ was delicious.  Apples and BBQ, it doesn't get much better than that!  If you haven't tried a Staymen Winesap apple, it is my current favorite.  Olivia has consumed six apples since yesterday along with the fresh apple bread we purchase.  I don't think the apple bread will last much longer with Zach around. 

The apple bread was Papa Larry's fill-in for birthday cake (and I think that was ok with him).  My dad, as well as Dave's mom, Joan, both celebrate a birthday on Monday, October 5th.  So a Happy Birthday to them!  Papa received a very LOUD rendention of the song from Gavin, Zach and Olivia (twice)!  Lucky grandpa...

No comments: