Tuesday, October 20, 2009

Fall Weekend


This past weekend was a fun-filled, fall weekend like no other.  Karen and Mike invited us to their neighborhood Fall Festival Friday night.  It was extremely cold, but I guess it made the hayride 'authentic'.  Gavin, Zach and Olivia went through the haunted house at least seven times.  Olivia did so because you could pick a prize at the end of the tour.  Guess what she chose each time.... squishies.  Zach and Gavin were true buds all night.  Jumpy house, slide, face painting, cotton candy, popcorn, hot apple cider and the hayride all made for an amazing Fall Festival evening.  The only worry, the boys hid from us under the playground set for a while.  Luckily, Mike has a good eye and spotted the glow bracelets.  They were 'just hiding in their fort.' 
Check out the face painting for these cool dudes: 



Saturday turned out to be brutally cold as well.  We had a family reunion at Sweetwater Creek State Park in Lithia Springs.  Typically these reunions are held on a warm, fall day, but since no one can predict that far in advance, we ended up freezing.  Of course, good food and great family make the event.  As the wind was blowing through the pavilion, I couldn't stop shaking.  But somehow I still managed to eat my entire plate...shaking and all :-)  We had a makeshift campfire in the BBQ grill.  I think we were all fighting to have a spot around the fire.  With 60 some odd people, you can see your chances.  Take a look at my dad's scarf - it's a towel from one of the casseroles.  Good old LG!

Let's just say that Dave is still extremely excited about Georgia Tech's win over Virginia Tech Saturday night.  We had to donn our ski gear for the game, but we were nice and toasty.  Dave coaxed me onto the field after the win.  As the field goal posts were being torn down and carried out of the stadium, Dave finally looked around at the student crowd and said "Tech has changed since I was here".  Yes, that officially makes us old!  And here I was thinking "eww, what if I get the H1N1 virus from being around all of these college students".  I get the award for being old AND neurotic....
The kids spent the night with Aunt Karen and Uncle Mike.  The cousins have been spending more time together now that they are older (and more controllable).  As my dad said about a year ago, "we'll NEVER watch all three of them at the same time again".  He went back on his word.... he he he.  Seriously, they are much easier to handle now that they have matured a bit.  Plus, they have fun together!


Sunshine and Sunday came around.  Everyone poked their heads out to see if the sunshine would stay and it did!  Ah, back to sunny Atlanta again.  We missed you :-)  I was in the mood for Six Feet Under (restuarant close to Oakland Cemetery), so we headed out for lunch.  This was the first visit to the Oakland Cemetery for Dave and the kids, so they ran and ran until at last, I heard from two little ones.  "Ah, we're tired.  Will you carry me?"  For a cemetery, this place is not all that bad.  In fact, this is my third trip in five months...



No comments: