Wednesday, April 9, 2008

Smell the Flowers




Our Spring Break week with Nonnie was fun AND relaxing. We went to Fernbank, the Botanical Gardens and the Aquarium, but one of the memorable times was just going out to lunch at the Smyrna Market Village, walking at the duck pond, meeting up with Grandpa Bob and eating gelato... Olivia is into picking flowers, so she helped the jonquils finish their last breath a few days early. Poor flowers. She made a lovely arrangement, and she and Zach took time to stop and smell the flowers - something we should all do, so I really couldn't be mad at her. It was nice to stay close to home during Spring Break because it helped us recharge our batteries. Or, as Olivia would say "gas". She tells me these days that she needs some "sugar gas". Meaning, she would like something sweet so she can have more energy. I guess I talk about sugar too much and also about them having 'lots of energy'. I told her today that she should probably use the term 'energy' instead of gas, because I (being her mother) laugh every time she says it.

The week was also bittersweet as well. One of my good friends that I grew up with since 1st grade had her father pass away this week; he was only 68. I went out for a quick visit and it was nice seeing her and her family. Funny, I grew up at their farm. If you ever hear me tell stories of unloading chickens from the truck, castrating pigs and playing hide & seek in the haystacks, this is where it all happened. On the Holland Farm...good memories and that's the way I like to keep it.

No comments: